Image licensing is a multi-billion dollar duopoly controlled by Shutterstock & Getty, who have enforced three central pieces of crazy on the industry for decades: horribly unfair royalty splits (85% to the middleman), horribly complex licensing structures (Getty has 324,000 licenses), and the craziest crazy of all … the total exclusion of non-professional photography.
We’re changing everything. Picfair is an open market controlled by our 25,000 photographers worldwide. They choose their prices, we add 20% on top, and that’s it. We’ve also created a brand new licensing structure - with 3 licenses covering every possible image use. But most importantly, we’re open to any type of photographer, anywhere. Anyone can upload images to Picfair, and our smart tech does the quality curation.
Armed with a fresh investment round, we’re now turning our attention to revenue generation, with a multi-pronged assault on publishers, agencies, and corporates. Every type of modern business licenses images, and we want all of them. We’ve already got some of the biggest publishers in the country nibbling - The Guardian, Lonely Planet, Random House, OUP all use Picfair images. And we don’t even have a proper sales & marketing team yet (they’re coming).
About the Role
We’re looking for a junior/mid-level generalist keen to work hard and learn quick. You’d ideally be particularly inclined towards front end and design. Ideally you’d be familiar with most of our stack, but if there’s bits missing and you’re a quick learner, we’ll be interested.
Our tech stack
• Ruby on Rails 4.2
• Rspec & Cucumber
• Experience working in a professional environment with Ruby on Rails
• Proficient understanding of Git (can you push and pull on multiple branches?)
The kind of technical challenges we’re facing:
• How can we produce beautiful buyer-facing content that engages while converting? How do we make a site that could stand alone as a gorgeous online publication while ensuring its raison d’etre remains commercial?
• How can we weaponise our army of 25,000 photographers into buyer-acquiring advocates?
• How can we intelligently & algorithmically rank images uploaded from anywhere, both subjectively and objectively?
Money & Other stuff
We work from a very fun multi-startup workspace in Shoreditch next to Spitalfields with lots of other creative companies, offer a £1,000 academic bursary to all staff members, and do a team lunch every week.
This position is open for both contract and permanent applications:
Contract rate: £200-300/day
Permanent rate: Up to £50k
NO RECRUITERS PLEASE
• Please send your CV to [email protected]
, with “full stack developer” as the subject.